Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Primo giorno dei nostri tre anni l'avventura

Translation: First day of our three year adventure

Last night was a bit like college life. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner, followed by a little nap before party time. We all went to sleep by 8pm last night, which means 2pm EST. I wasn't that surprised when both Riann and Lincoln were up about 11:30pm rested and ready to party... errr, or play in our little hotel room. Jamie was kind enough to "party" with them first, our plan being we'd do 2 hour shifts. Lucky for me, the kids were both exhausted and ready to go to sleep again before Jamie woke me up for duty. Lincoln and I were up about 10am, Riann and Jamie slept until 11:30am. Trying to get into a routine on a completely different time zone with kids is not exactly easy.
Our car has arrived but we cannot pick it up until we take a required safety course and a 50-question, multiple choice test and pass for our Italian drivers licenses. As of today, the earliest we can do that is June 22nd. Ugh.
In the meantime, we'll have to do like we did today and walk everywhere. I feel lucky we are on a military base at this point, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) we need is within walking distance.
However, living in Italy, I don't really want to be stuck on an American base, I moved here to see Italy, and I want to be able to be out among the locals, absorbing all the Italian culture I can, not to mention EAT the authentic food!! (Subway on base just isn't quite what I had in mind.) The closest thing to that will have to be going to the cell phone store, the commissary & exchange to listen to the Italians who work on base talk amongst themselves while I eavesdrop. Oh, how I wish I had done so much more Rosetta Stone before we got here!

No comments:

Post a Comment